Port-au-Prince, Haiti’s capital city, sits on the Gulf of Gonâve. The Musée du Panthéon National Haïtien honours the nation’s history and founding fathers. The Iron Market, a large 1891 covered bazaar, has produce and handicraft vendors. Nearby is the immense Notre Dame de l’Assomption Cathedral, reduced to a ruin by a 2010 earthquake. Colourful gingerbread-style houses from the turn of the 19th century dot the city. Port au Prince (map) is the capital and largest city based on population in Haiti, a relatively small country that shares the island of Hispaniola with the Dominican Republic. It is located on the Gulf of Gonâve on the Caribbean Sea and covers an area of nearly 15 square miles (38 sq. km).
Historical, Cultural facts & Religion
The city was named for the ship Prince, which first arrived at the French colony of Saint-Domingue (as Haiti was then known) in 1706, and was founded by the Marquis of Large, Charles Burnier, in 1749. In 1770 Port-au-Prince replaced Cap-Haïtien as Saint-Domingue’s capital. The culture of Haiti is an eclectic mix of African, Taino and European elements due to the French colonization of Saint Domingue and its large and diverse enslaved African population, as is evidenced in the Haitian language, music, and religion. Haiti is similar to the rest of Latin America, in that it is a predominantly Christian country, with 80% Roman Catholic and approximately 16% professing Protestantism. A small population of Muslims and Hindus exist in the country, principally in the capital of Port-au-Prince.
Brief City History
Port-au-Prince is the capital, largest city, commercial centre, and chief port of the Republic of Haiti. Some 90% of Haiti’s investments and jobs are found in Port-au-Prince. Estimated to be about 1.2 million inhabitants (and nearly three million inhabitants in the metropolitan area), the city alone has about 12% of the nation’s population. People of African descent constitute 95% of Port-au-Prince’s community, with Hispanic, Asian, European, and Middle East Haitians accounting for the rest of the population. Port-au-Prince is located on the Gulf of Gonâve, a wide harbour on the southwestern coast of the Caribbean region’s second-largest island, Hispaniola. Port-au-Prince’s natural harbour has seen economic activity long before Christopher Columbus’s arrival to the island in 1492, when the Arawakan-speaking Taino Indians inhabited the region. The city was named for the ship Prince, which first arrived at the French colony of Saint-Domingue (as Haiti was then known) in 1706, and was founded by the Marquis of Large, Charles Burnier, in 1749. In 1770 Port-au-Prince replaced Cap-Haïtien as Saint-Domingue’s capital. The Haitian Revolution (1791-1804), led by Toussaint L’Ouverture, ended three centuries of Spanish and French rule and brought about both independence and the abolition of slavery. On January 1, 1804, Port-au-Prince became the capital of Haiti. Port-au-Prince has seen both triumph and travail during its long history. The Academy of Haiti was established in 1823, and in 1845 Le Moniteur Haitien, the nation’s first newspaper began publication. Faustin Soulouque, a general in the Haitian Army, was elected President of Haiti in 1847. On April 16, 1848, Soulouque, an uncompromising enemy of mixed-race Haitians, ordered the massacre of “mulattoes” in Port-au-Prince. The decimation of “mulattoes,” as well as any black Haitians whom Soulouque suspected of disloyalty, continued throughout the country until January 15, 1859, when Soulouque’s reign ended. In 1860 the Haitian Navy was created, and in 1881 the Banque Nationale d’Haiti was established. Port-au-Prince’s National Palace of Haiti, the nation’s national parliament building, was completed in 1912. It was designed by local architect Georges H. Baussan, a graduate of the Ecole d’Architecture in Paris. Several political assassinations in Haiti between 1911 and 1915 resulted in the presidency changing six times. To protect U.S. corporation interests, President Woodrow Wilson on July 28, 1915 ordered 330 United States Marines to land at Port-au-Prince. The U.S. occupied the capital and the nation from 1915 until 1934. During the years of Haiti’s occupation, the population of Port-au-Prince rose to approximately 120,000. A concrete wharf was constructed, a radio station began broadcasting in 1926, Bowen airfield began operating in 1929, and a movie house opened. The city continued to expand after the Americans left. The National Library of Haiti was founded in 1940, the Centre d’Art in 1944, the Institut Français in 1945, and the Port Administration of Port-au-Prince in 1956. The International Airport opened near Port-au-Prince in 1965 (today it is called the Toussaint L’Ouverture International Airport). François Duvalier (“Papa Doc”) president of Haiti from 1957 to 1971) and his son, Jean-Claude Duvalier (“Baby Doc,” the president from 1971 to 1986) were both born in Port-au-Prince. Their regimes were notoriously corrupt and marked by egregious human rights violations. Following Baby Doc’s exile, on September 11, 1988, Father Jean-Bertrand Aristide became Haiti’s first democratically elected president (in 1991, and 1994-1996, then 2001-2004).
An economic crisis in the countryside between 1982 and 1995 almost tripled Port-au-Prince’s population as thousands of impoverished migrants entered this poorly planned city, creating and expanding slums that were beleaguered with poverty and violence. Social instability and military repression reigned throughout Aristide’s presidency and continues to this day. On January 12, 2010 a magnitude 7.0 earthquake decimated Port-au-Prince: nearly 250,000 people were killed and 300,000 were injured; 1.3 million people were displaced; over 97,000 houses were demolished and nearly 200,000 were damaged. Hospitals and critical city networks were destroyed, along with Port-au-Prince’s historic central district, the parliament building, and its capitol building. Foreign aid and billions of dollars are helping Port-au-Prince recover from the earthquake’s devastation and to develop a more modern infrastructure. The rebuilding continues.
Language (s) Written & Spoken
French and Haitian Creole (Kreyol) are the two official languages of Haiti. Near Labadie, you’ll find a few more people able to speak English due to the cruise ships. In Port-Au-Prince, you’ll find a few more people familiar with English. Along the border, more people are familiar with Spanish.
Important Types of Commerce in Port-au-Prince
MAJOR INDUSTRIES: Agriculture, Assembly of Imported Parts, Cement, Food Processing, Forestry, Mining, Textiles, Tourism.
Language Services US and others will provide working with Port-au-Prince
Brochure, website, pamphlet, business card and important business literature with French and Haitian Creole translation will impress a Port-au-Prince business person. Certified translation creates a legally binding record recognized by Port-au-Prince directories, ministries, officials, courts and academic universities and institutions. All documents should also be translated into French and Haitian Creole to be considered by the ministry of foreign affairs in the company’s country of origin, and the Port-au-Prince ministry of foreign affairs.
Looking for a French and Haitian Creole (Kreyol) translation company? Look no further. American Language Services (AML-Global) offers certified translations, native interpreting services, and turn-key localization solutions for any language. Call us today @ 1-800-951-5020 for further information, visit our website https://www.alsglobal.net/ or for a quick quote click http://alsglobal.net/quick-quote.php.